How to make the most money out of a ETA caliber
You have to hand it to IWC,they really know how to milk the people who buy their watches.This is their latest offering to their unsuspecting buyers. [url]"http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/the-iwc-portugieser-yacht-club-worldtimer">http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/the-iwc-po ... worldtimer[/url]
Now i am not saying this watch looks bad,or is not well made.What i am saying is that it is a complete and utter rip off,at the price they are selling it for.The caliber in this watch is not even made by IWC.
When the Swatch Group refused to sell anymore caliber kits to IWC.They were forced to let ETA make the calibers and deliver them finished to IWC.So what you have here is a caliber not even put together or finished by IWC.I am not saying that IWC do not tweak the caliber a bit,because i do not know this.
They are asking 70.000 dkr for the steel version of this watch.And would you believe 178.200dkr for the gold.This must be a world record for a factory built ETA caliber.I will not name all the other watches you can buy for this kind of money.But it is sufficiant to say that there are so many that offer better quality,that i would need a toilet roll to list them all.

This is one of my all time favorite brands,i am talking about here.But in recent years they are becoming more about branding than watchmaking.I consider this watch to be a complete rip off,and a insult to their public.Buy it at your peril,because it is certainly not going to increase in value or even hold a good used price in the future.
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar
Hehe jeg kan godt se din pointe, men hvis ETA lavede det bedste værk til disse funktioner kan man måske argumentere for at kvaliteten kom i første række?

- via iPhone
--
"Bare ét ur til, så er samlingen komplet!"

Svar
phrede Skrev:Hehe jeg kan godt se din pointe, men hvis ETA lavede det bedste værk til disse funktioner kan man måske argumentere for at kvaliteten kom i første række?

- via iPhone
Citat:
That is the argument IWC used in the old days,and it was quite right.But at that time IWC recieved the ETA calibers in kits and completly rebuilt them to IWC standards.Now the calibers are delivered already built to what IWC call their own standards.So what we have here is a kind of Frankenstein watch.Case made maybe by IWC, with a ETA caliber inside.
This is however not what IWC are telling the public about this watch.Indeed they are telling everyone that it is a IWC caliber.ETA make excellent work horse calibers,that are reliable.But they are not any where near the top branches of the watch making tree.
So the question is.Do you think it is alright to sell a steel watch with a fairly ordinary ETA caliber for 70.000dkr,and let the general public think it is a IWC watch,made by IWC?
To get back to the point about quality.It is well worth a google to learn about the way IWC used to rebuild and finish ETA calibers.

History always judges watches.Every used watch dealer in the world already knows that this watch will never ever become a classic or keep any lasting value.Used market prices will reflect this.It is of course up to the individual about what to buy.And this individual would never buy this one.
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar
Kunne de så bare have valgt en lidt stører calibre hos ETA, for dato vinduets placering er da helt ved siden af, og gør skiven meget uharmonisk efter min mening altså.
Mvh. PHO
Svar

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)