What to consider when buying a watch on a limited budget
We get a lot of questions from people who want advice about buying their first good watch, on what we watch nerds call a limited budget.Well 5-6000dkr for example is a lot of money for some people.And many who listen to our advice and buy a watch,will in the future maybe want to upgrade to a more expensive watch.This fact is always in the back of my mind when i recomend a watch.Resale is very important when recomending a watch,especially to people on a limited budget.It is however a fact of life that some watches are notoriously hard to sell on the open market because they have no branding value.And there are watch brands that dealers will not part exchange.It is a bit like Alfa Romeo cars,where the only place you can sell them again is where you bought them.And only at a big loss,and only if you bought another hard to sell car.

This is the Honey trap,that many new people to the watch world fall into.But at the same time we have to think about watch brands.How the hell are they going to break into the world of established brands,if we watch nerds do not give them a chance?I think the answer is that it takes a long time for any brand to gain the respect, and market value from the proffesionals and the public.Number one you have to be a real watch brand,and not just a marketing company that use others to make your watches.They may fool the public,but never the pro dealers.Many of them make ok watches that can last a long time.But their resale and brand value is at the bottom of the scale.You have to be a serious brand,and you have to work towards the goal of always trying to make as much of your product inhouse as you possibly can.It is a long and expensive process.But it can be done,the brand called Nomos is a very good example.Or a brand like Sinn,who use many outside produced components,but still were able to stamp their own DNA on their watches.

Most of the micro brands out there,are not really watch brands.And their resale value can only get lower and lower.Unfortunatly many people fall for the marketing hype,about their watches.You get a 6mm saphire 20mm case- 316 steel case,highest quality controll etc etc etc.You can get all of this and a caliber for less than 500 kroner in China,where most of them are made.

I will give this tip to anyone who wants to know about the true value of the maybe the first watch you buy.Before you buy the watch,contact a few dealers and ask them what they will give you if you part exchanged the watch you are thinking of buying.The answer might surprise you.There are watches out there for people on a low budget,with excellent resale value and made by real and respected watch brands.Buy them!

PS.I would like to add this.Because a watch is made in China, is in no way a down mark in the quality.In fact it can be the reverse.And the mark up compaired to many well known Swiss brands,can also be the same.
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar

Beskeder i denne tråd
What to consider when buying a watch on a limited budget - af willy - 16-05-2015, 09:11 PM

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 2 gæst(er)