Watches and brands that changed the face of modern watches
Not the usual suspects Rolex Sub-AP Royal Oak etc etc, but other watches and brands that have been copied and have inspired others.The ones that i put on my list are those that i think have changed the watch industry not because they were big sellers but because of the influence they have had on the watch industry and watch making.This is my list it would be intresting to see others.In no particular order of merit.
1 Richard Mille-His use of space age new materials in watches inspired brands like AP-Hublot etc
2 Ulysse Nardin-Dr.Ludvig Oechslin. With their series of Astrolabium Galileo-Planetarium-copernicus and Tellurium Kepler they took the art of making complications into a new age.
3 FP Journe His Octa and Souveraine models unique watches with unique complications made him the forerunner for other new independant brands making high end watches.
4Frank Muller-He proved you could be a watch making genius and dare to be different.He made so many complications in such a short time truly amazing.
5 Jaquet Droz this brand with their use of special materials on their watch dials have inspired many other brands.
6 A.Lange& Sohne The first true inhouse high end chronograph in the world even Patek were shocked by this watch.And for being the first brand to dispel the myth that PP make the best finished watches in the world. Willy
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar
In the list of the newer I would add Zenith - simply for the primero - the first fully integrated automatic chronograph with full rotor column wheel chronograph - a machine that actually with very small changes, has served since 1969 - and inspired others - look at the daytona as movement and the zenith, and they did not copy but - were inspired from it.

In older time Breguet would be certain to be on the list for inventions used by many others

In newer times, probaly Seiko could deserve attention, for spring drive e.g., but it is not a lost which is easy to make complete.

Probably, from the sheer importance due to number of movements - ETA from old Eterna and Valjoux is worth a thought. Just the 2824 and 2892 in many versions has been used by so many that without those work horses, the whole watch industry in Switzerland would have looked very different.

Those were just some few thoughts - it is not an easy list - but interesting Icon_e_smile
br
Mvh. John  - Glad for ure og frisk på lidt iværksætterråd.
Besøg min blog med gode råd til iværksættere!
Besøg min blog om ure!
Svar
I must admit John i was thinking more of the ones we do not often think about.Everything you mentioned has also had a big influence of course. Willy
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar
I get it then - I would say lange is mentioned a lot and respected - but fine - I get the idea.
br John
Mvh. John  - Glad for ure og frisk på lidt iværksætterråd.
Besøg min blog med gode råd til iværksættere!
Besøg min blog om ure!
Svar
Her er det måske lige værd at tilføje at RM's værker for de mest kompliceredes vedkommende er udviklet og produceret af RENAUD ET PAPI... som er drevet og ejet af AP Icon_e_wink

Ser ikke Zenith som en aktuel aktør på listen. De har "kun" lavet ét nævneværdigt værk nemlig EP i 1969, og lever stadig højt på det Icon_rolleyes De andre på Willys liste er aktuelt innovative og kaster sig ud i nye løsninger der rykker urverden netop nu. Her er Zenith bestemt ikke på min liste for tiden desværre Icon_e_sad De roder rundt i en identitetskrise efter Natafs katastrofe designs.

/Mads
Svar
Agree Mads but RM were the first to build watches using new materials as much as possible.I think RM has had enormous influence on AP Offshore models.But as you say today it is all under the same roof Icon_e_wink Willy
Svar

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)