Diving Watches.
Its all very interesting to read about the new dive watches built to beat any
dive watch,ever made Icon_smil 
It is quite comical really,considering pro divers use a wrist computer for diving
in real life,and only use a mechanical dive watch as a back up.
In the old days when i was on a diving course in Singapore we were issued with
military Rolex Subs and nothing else.
Most of the divers i saw in the Far East and Australia were using Seiko divers.
Considering the depth that most divers operate in, a 200 meter diver is more than adequate.

Looking at the amount of dive watches on the market today,it seems to me that
they are trying to invent the wheel again and again.
I know it is all marketing bullshit,but when they keep boasting about making the ultimate
diving machine it becomes comical.

Why on earth do they need to make something that looks like a hockey
puck with a strap on it? I could understand it,if there was a meaning for this madness.
                      Why make a watch that serves no practical purpose at all,except for being
big. 
                     It could be that they are trying to appeal to big people who like big watches,
i do not know.But i think they are trying to appeal to the members of the public who think
big is always best.
                  You know that if a watch case is about 30mm thick then it must be stronger 
than one that is only 15mm thick Icon_smil

Nearly all mechanical divers made today are just jewelry and i include
everything made by Rolex here.But of course they could be used by a diver who did not mind
scratching or denting his 100,000 kroner watch on a coral reef or the side of a ship.But i
do not believe there are many divers who would do this. Icon_smil

I would hazard a guess that most divers who do not dive for a living would use
a Japanese made diver made by Seiko or Citizen as a back up watch.They can be bought for
a reasonable price,and they have a reputation for reliability.

Pro divers earn a lot of money,and some were not so worried about a few dents
on their Rolex a few years ago.But i think this has changed a bit today,considering the price of 
them today.

There is a reason why Rolex got their great reputation as a divers watch.And most
people have no idea what this reason was.
                    It is because the caliber inside the watch,could take anything you could throw at it!
The watch was well built and the case was incredibly strong,but what made it the watch trusted by 
divers and the military was the mechanical caliber inside it.

I have seen these subs thrown on the ground, or off walls,and they still kept ticking.
They were the mechanical G.Shock of the sixties and seventies.And that is why divers loved them,
because they could be the difference between life or death, at the time before computers were invented.

Today any Quartz dive watch or good mechanical one,could of course do the same.
Just like cars,watches have developed and become more reliable.

Now it is about fifty years since i last dived,and things have changed a lot since
then.But i can still see though many of these so called dive experts that write for watch bloggs all
over the world.And i can tell you that they are there to sell you watches and nothing more.

If IWC could make a dive watch good for 2.000 meters at just 15mm thick,then why do we
need one that is double the thickness and only good for 1.000 meters? Something here tells me a story.

It seems to me that sometimes progress is like going backwards in some fields.
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
Svar
I've had the same thoughts myself, Willy. I am sure most of it is down to fashion and the "hockey puck on a strap" trend that still lingers. Now, I have nothing against big watches. I love my PAM312 and B&M 8319. Both of them are (supposedly) dive watches with 300/1000M WR but I doubt many use them for that purpose :-) My diving is certainly limited to the bathroom sink....
After ten years or so wanting a Longines Leged Diver, I finally got one back in november and it is so light and comfortable with a 300M WR rating.
It's probably not as tough as many other dive watches with thicker cases, but it doesn't really matter. If I find myself that far below the surface, I'm pretty sure I won't care much about my watch!
[-]
  • Larsb, willy
Svar
(12-01-2021, 11:07 AM)bshansen Skrev: I've had the same thoughts myself, Willy. I am sure most of it is down to fashion and the "hockey puck on a strap" trend that still lingers. Now, I have nothing against big watches. I love my PAM312 and B&M 8319. Both of them are (supposedly) dive watches with 300/1000M WR but I doubt many use them for that purpose :-) My diving is certainly limited to the bathroom sink....
After ten years or so wanting a Longines Leged Diver, I finally got one back in november and it is so light and comfortable with a 300M WR rating.
It's probably not as tough as many other dive watches with thicker cases, but it doesn't really matter. If I find myself that far below the surface, I'm pretty sure I won't care much about my watch!

Agree there are a lot of big people out there,that need a big watch.Sometimes a 40 mm
diver looks like a pea on a drum,on some people.Panerai have an excuse,because their
divers have historical roots.I am just saying that it is not necessary to make them look
like a Hockey puck.The Legend is a nice watch,and i think it is tough enough for anything
a hobby diver could throw at it.Big does not mean better or stronger in my book,and many
of the tiny cheap calibers in many of the giant watches could never take the punishment
a Rolex caliber could.In the end it is the strength of the caliber that defines a reliable
diving watch.
- Jeg er engelsk - bor i Danmark, forstår dansk - men foretrækker at skrive på engelsk Icon_smil
[-]
  • Larsb
Svar
I like you take on the subject, Willy. I agree that Rolex did earn their reputation and it is really solid watches. What I find funny and slightly depressing is that most people who buy a Rolex today do it to prove to the rest of the world that they are successful.
Med venlig hilsen

Lars

https://www.instagram.com/sralhb/
[-]
  • onkeldunkel
Svar
Agree that many do buy a Rolex because of the prestige of owning one Lars.But we cannot escape the fact that they
do make exceptional watches.People tend to blame Rolex for their success,and call them boring and not worth the
money we pay for them.I think this happens with every luxury product when they become a magnet for the public.

The thing that always impresses me about Rolex is how they are able to produce so many watches,
with a quality that few brands,if any can match.After many years of reading and talking about watches,Rolex is 
still the brand i would recommend to anyone wanting a robust quality watch they intend to keep for many years.

Yes there are thousands of other watches out there that are more individual,and do not
make you feel like one of the pack Icon_smil A bit like Audi or BMW drivers  Icon_smil.
                           I personally have owned a few hundred different watches from Lange-AP-Patek-Glashutte- etc etc,
but i still would say Rolex is my all time favorite watch brand. I think it takes something special,to make a product
for so many years,that is still a respected icon in a very competitive industry.

And we must not forget that many of the greatest watchmakers alive today,still have the
utmost respect for Rolex watches,and many of them have a Rolex on their wrist.
[-]
  • Larsb
Svar
Jeg er helt enig Willy iwc har vist hvor elegant en ekstrem diver kan bygges, så hvorfor så bygge disse store ure?

Der hvor jeg tror du skyder lidt forbi målet er at du går ud fra at de bygges efter et praktisk behov gående ud fra at kunne holde til den tilsigtede dybde og holdbarhed.

Der tror jeg du tager fejl, tag Citizen de har vist med andre modeller at de kan bygge en komfortabel diver som holder til nærmest alt du vil smide i mod det.

Hvorfor bygger de så en stor diver til 1000m hvor man kun kan komme ned tørskoet inde i et fartøj?

Mit svar til det er.
Fordi der er et marked for det, de har stor know how inden for området og uden at bygge nye værker eller andet har de en model serie mere at sprede deres indtjening på

Man skal heller ikke glemme reklame værdien hvis deres konkurrenter f.eks. Seiko er på markedet så skal de også være der.

Uret tror jeg generelt alene er lavet stort fordi der er et markedet for det og for at det kan betjenes hvis du ligger og dykker med det iført handsker, hvis de ville kunne både Seiko og Citizen lave en "lille" ekstrem diver der er bare ikke et generelt markedet for dem da markedet for ure til store dybder (som jeg ser det) tilstræber store ure.

Så skal man jo heller ikke glemme hvor ekstremt 200m er hvis du ville lave det med flasker på ryggen.

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk
Yoshikazu Akahane. 28/+50.
[-]
  • runzuk5, willy
Svar
Og der er nogle af os som har brug for store ure pga vores store håndled. Her kan et dykkerur på eksempelvis 42 mm komme til at ligne et dameur

Sendt fra min moto g(8) power med Tapatalk
[-]
  • Larsb, willy
Svar
Mit håndled er 19,5cm og alt over 42mm ser fjollet ud på mig. Faktisk 0,5 cm større end dit hvis jeg husker rigtigt?

Det jeg vil sige med det, er at det er helt subjektivt hvad man kan - og ikke kan - lide.

Så smag og behag/intet rigtigt eller forkert..... fuldstændig som det skal være :-)
Svar
Du har ret. Dét er subjektivt. Nu har jeg eksempelvis mit Zelos på som er 43 mm. Det er til den lille side i min verden. Højden hjælper så på det syntes jeg.
Og du har ret. Mit håndled er 19 cm

Sendt fra min moto g(8) power med Tapatalk
Svar
(17-01-2021, 12:31 PM)runzuk5 Skrev: Og der er nogle af os som har brug for store ure pga vores store håndled. Her kan et dykkerur på eksempelvis 42 mm komme til at ligne et dameur

Could not agree more,i have said that a 42 mm watch can look ridiculous on a big
man.I just think that it is not necessary to build them so thick when it is really not
needed.I just cannot see the point of making a watch 20 mm thick that can go to
a lesser depth than one that is 15mm thick.
                          But okay i know that a lot to do with it is fashion,and is never for
practical use anyway. But when these firms boast about making the ultimate diver,
i have to laugh a bit.
                   In the end people should buy and wear what they like,and i do like
many big watches.Please do not think i single you out because you like many 
extremely big watches.I just try to tell the other side of the coin,so to speak.
                     And lets face it, the world would be a boring place if we all had
the same taste Icon_smil
[-]
  • Larsb, runzuk5
Svar

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)